Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roasted Acorn Squash With Apples and Sausage

While perusing blogs a few weeks ago, I stumbled on a recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash with Apples and Sausage on Melissa's Blog at Hungry, Healthy, Happy. While I'm not a huge squash fan, my mom had given me an extra acorn squash that I needed to use, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try the recipe out. I used a few ingredients because I used what I had at home, and didn't shop specifically for this recipe.

Ingredients
Acorn Squash (cut in half)
Butter
Brown Sugar
Chicken Apple Sausage (2, cut into pieces)
Large Red Apple (1, cut into pieces)
Sweet Onion (1, cut into pieces)
Water (used this in place of broth in frying pan with sausage, apple, and onion)
Olive Oil (to caramelize onion)
Oregano (used this to replace the thyme)
Sea Salt
Pepper

 2 halves of the acorn

 Butter, Brown Sugar, and Salt in the Squash

 Caramelized Onions, Apple, Sausage, Salt, Pepper, and Oregano slowly cooking

 Squash immediately out of the oven

Final Product! 

For someone who isn't a fan of squash, this was absolutely DELICIOUS! It took a lot of self-control to save on half for another meal. It held up well after it was reheated, and it was just as good the second day. Every bite I took tasted like I was eating a little piece of fall. 

A few notes about the recipe: Squash can be very difficult to cut through. I put the squash directly in the microwave for about 2 minutes to start. This helped with the ease of cutting it! I didn't have broth, but just threw in a bit of water into the frying pan and that did the trick, and tasted just fine to me. I didn't have thyme, so I just threw in a tiny bit of oregano. To check out the entire recipe, click here. Melissa has a number of fantastic recipes on her blog, so make sure to check it out!

Now it's your turn!
What's your favorite way to cook squash? What taste or smell reminds you completely of Fall, no matter what time of the year you experience it? 

1 comment:

  1. I tried to comment on this on my phone over the weekend, but it didn't work! Anyway, I'm so glad you loved it! :) XO

    ReplyDelete