Health is a large word. It embraces not the body only, but the mind and spirit as well;... and not today's pain or pleasure alone, but the whole being and outlook of a man. ~James H. West
Welcome back to Wellness Wednesday, a day each week to focus on wellness in our lives. For the last few months I've been going through the Wheel of Wellness, discussing the different factors of wellness. I'm about half way done, so I'm doing a bit of a review. Click here to see a list of Wellness Wednesday posts so far, and to catch up on any that you might have missed.
Wellness isn't something that "just happens" in our life. We don't just stumble upon it one day. At least most of us don't.
If we can't get past wanting to avoid temporary pain, discomfort, or needing immediate pleasure, then we have little hope of being healthy, or ultimately happy as well.
The thing with health and wellness is that it usually involves sacrifice, in some way, at some point in time. While you might sacrifice some things, you also gain a world of wonderful benefits, and that's what's important to focus on while fighting towards health and wellness.
It's hard to give up things in the present moment when we don't have a purpose for what we do. The bigger picture allows us to make the small sacrifices along the way.
Here're a few questions for you to get you started?
1. Why do you want to get healthy? What's your ultimate purpose in health and wellness?
2. What are you willing to give up or sacrifice in order to get to a place of health in life?
3. What's the "bigger picture"?
4. If you aren't willing to sacrifice anything right now, what's holding you from wanting the place of health in life?
5. What other choices in life can you make to take the next steps forward to health and wellness?