Friday, September 16, 2011

Fantastic Fridays (Life's Tiny Delights)

We live in a fast-paced society.  Walking slows us down.  ~Robert Sweetgall

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk.  Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness.  I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.  ~Soren Kierkegaard

If you follow me on twitter, then it's no surprise to you that I love going on walks! Earlier this week, I sent out this tweet:
Spending time outside in nature is good both physically and mentally, which is why I talk frequently about Nature Deficit Disorder. Walking is my preferred way of spending time outside, and this week it was no exception! After a day at work sitting in a chair without moving while talking to clients, my legs are usually itching it get moving. I walk frequently with a few different friends, and it helps to process life, laugh, and get some fresh air. Walking is a wonderful activity to practice living in the present moment, being aware of sensations that are current. The practice of mindfulness hardly seems like a task!
The next time you're at the end of your rope and are ready to snap at your kids, or you're feeling a little sluggish, or having a hard time concentrating- slip on some shoes and find a place to walk! Your body and mind will thank you for it!

And of course I can't end a Friday post without some search terms. I've put links onto each of the terms so you can check the posts out! 

Now it's your turn!
Do you like walking? If so, what's your favorite walking routine (trails, streets, alone, with friends, music, no music, etc...)?

1 comment:

  1. I love simply slowing down and walking anywhere and really and truly NOTICING what is all around me.

    ReplyDelete