We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance. ~Harrison Ford
I know that January is a natural time for people to make changes (If you don't feel ready to change something, please don't cave into the pressure though! It is better to make changes once you are prepared.), so I want to make sure to do a few posts to help you go into the behavior change with the greatest possibility of success!
Previous information about behavior change includes:
Today, let's talk about dreaming. Sometimes we fear our dreams, or feel that we have to edit them before we can say them aloud. Dreaming is good, and can lead to fantastic changes in our lives. However, I don't think it's enough to just stop at saying the dream. The dream is the end goal, but there's a lot of steps in life that get us to the end goal. It's important to set mini goals to get us to our dreams.
Here's an example:
Dream: Getting published
- Create list of places to be published
- Complete research on topic (could create mini-steps for this)
- Network with people in _______ field
Dream: Increase My Self Esteem
- Determine what is holding down my self-esteem
- Create list of negative self-talk & negative beliefs about self
- Engage in a practice of challenging & changing cognitive distortions
- Implement a practice of daily affirmations
Of course you'd need to determine what mini-goals would work for you, and brainstorming is certainly an important step in this process. Dreaming is GOOD, and we shouldn't be afraid of it! Don't just stop at your dream, but establish a plan to get yourself to that dream. You CAN do it, but it may take some time and hard work, so be patient!
Now it's your turn:
What are your dreams for 2012?