Saturday, April 9, 2011

Facing Up To Things In My Life


― Sarah Dessen 

I love this quote! When we are in the midst of pain, suffering, or just plain awkwardness, it is much easier to turn and run away, or try to deny that it's even happening. When we choose to turn into the pain and darkness, and face it square in the face to deal with it, we become healthier individuals. More often then not, we'll get through the pain and suffering much faster, and we become strong individuals. We can say to ourselves "I survived this once, I can survive it again." When we hide, we allow that thing we are hiding from the control us, and we live in fear. It sucks the energy from us. Ultimately, we are unhealthy, and we don't develop the strength and courage needed to wrestle through the journey of life.

Obviously this is much easier said then done. From the experiences that I've had, it is incredibly difficult to face things head on and work through them. It's tempting to run away and hide, and try to force this thing under the rug. It WILL come back at some point. I cannot emphasize how important it is to face things and work through them...and ultimately, we develop strength and courage.

Do you find it easier to hide from things or to face them? Is there something in life that you need to face and work through? Do you have any fun plans for the weekend? 

3 comments:

  1. I find this interesting because the thing/person I am hiding and running from is my relationship with my mom. I feel like if I confront the issues- it will only make things worse. I guess finding the balance of not hiding and not hurting relationships is the key. ? I have come to terms that I will never have the relationship I want or need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. Sometimes people aren't safe to confront, so continuing to confront them just isn't wise. However, we can confront and face things for ourselves. For instance, you can work within yourself to deal with things with your mom while not actually talking to her. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that makes perfect sense. I feel like that (my issues with my mom) is the mountain I have been attempting to climb the last 5 years. Reading your blog reminds me I need to check back into counseling :) You have such great topics and insight!

    ReplyDelete