Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012! A Few Considerations Before Changing Behavior

HAPPY New Year! I truly can't believe that we are in 2012 already. I hope you all had a great and safe night ringing in the new year! I spent it with people I deeply care about, and had a blast celebrating. The nice thing about a new year is that it can be a new start to our life. Sure, the problems and situations we are in on December 31st don't go away magically when the ball drops, but the ball dropping can add some motivation or renewed determination to make changes.

The fact of the matter is that New Years Resolutions have become a joke for many people because they are easily dropped or abandoned. Behavior change can be tough, and successful, long term behavior change can be incredibly difficult to achieve. I'm big into setting things up right to create for yourself the biggest chance of successfully changing your behavior. Yes, it takes work, but it IS worth it.

A few things to consider:

  • While there is pressure out there to make your resolutions and start on January 1st, if you don't feel prepared yet, don't start making changes! It is OK to wait until a later date to start your behavior changes.
  • Making changes is significant at any date, not just January 1st!
  • Think big picture dreams, and outline smaller steps to get you to your bigger goal. This will allow you to feel like you're making progress by meeting your smaller goals, and the entire picture won't be so overwhelming. 
  • Track Your Behavior: Let me say it again- TRACK YOUR BEHAVIOR both before and during the behavior change. Check out the post I linked to under "track your behavior" to see some tips for doing this!
  • Find a support and accountability team. There's no reason we need to change behavior completely alone. 
I'll be doing a few more follow up posts on behavior change over the next weeks, so keep an eye out for it! I'm all for making goals for the new year, and think it's a great time to reevaluate your life. Please be smart about your behavior change and set yourself up for the highest chance of success possible!

Now it's your turn:
What are your dreams for 2012? What sorts of changes would you like to see in your life? Do you set resolutions or goals for yourself? 

2 comments:

  1. I didnt set resolutions. I did reset my mind to continuing on my mission which I litlerally put on ice for the last half of 2011.

    I believe I know what to do, Iknow what has worked for me before. Although I do not know why I so easily just took a long break from doing what I know I ought to do.

    So I amnot making any changes I have not made before, just getting back to committing to them. Now I got to get it done.

    Happy New Year!

    -Patrick
    Moved my blog to wordpress>
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renewing a post mission or goal is a fantastic thing to do. Because you've done it before, you have some good information that will help you to be successful. Thank you so much for sharing, and good luck making your behavior change again!

    ReplyDelete