Monday, January 2, 2012

Thankfulness Project Monday

The Old Year has gone.  Let the dead past bury its own dead.  The New Year has taken possession of the clock of time.  All hail the duties and possibilities of the coming twelve months!  ~Edward Payson Powell

A new year is upon us, and most of us are trying to figure out (whether we make resolutions, goals, or create dreams) what we'd like this year to look like. Over the last year I have become convinced that the practice of gratitude is essential for a healthy and happy life, and I will seek to continue to implement this practice in my life. Because of that, continue expecting to see this post each Monday in 2012! It helps me to start the week on the right foot. 

Here are a few things I am grateful for on this first Monday of 2012:

  • Safety: I never want to take this for granted, and I know that it can definitely be easy to forget this one. With the holidays, there are lots of people traveling, and I drove about 1,500 miles over the last two weeks. I'm thankful for safety while traveling (and that the other drivers around me were being safe as well!).
  • Time with Family: This doesn't happen enough, and there are some family members I won't see for at least 5 months now. I'm grateful that my entire family made it home to my parents' house for Christmas!
  • Time with Friends: I spent the last few days of 2011 and the first day of 2012 celebrating with a number of good friends whom I haven't seen in a number of months. It's hard to have friends spread out across the country, and it's always exciting to spend time with them! 
  • A New Year: Sure, just because the date changes from 2011 to 2012 doesn't mean that our problems magically disappear. We wake up on January 1st in the same situation as December 31st. However, sometimes we need times that can motivate us to make a change, and for some people the start of a new year is the motivation they need to change and grow. I'm thankful for times in life that cause us to pause, think, and evaluate our lives. 
  • Dreaming: It's fun to dream big dreams for our lives, and try to put practical steps in our lives to achieve those dreams. It certainly is tough work, we hit glitches, and we might want to give up. The dreams we dream can keep us going, give us motivation to endure, and create hope. Don't be afraid to dream for your life! 

Now it's your turn:
What are you feeling thankful for on this first Monday of 2012? 

No comments:

Post a Comment