Saturday, January 22, 2011

Having the Courage to REALLY live

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be BRAVE. LIVE."
~Buffy (from ep The Gift)

Since I first watched Buffy back in the spring of 2008, this has been one of my favorite quotes, a quote I repeat to myself many times each month. I see people around me, whether it's people in my extended family, or my clients, who are terrified of some aspect of living. It takes a huge amount of bravery and courage to grab life by the shoulders, look at it straight on with brute honesty, and really live in it. 

Life is scary, hard, and overwhelming. It's easier to try to dull or deny the pain, and move through life without much conscious thought. It's easier to continue in the same life patterns then in honestly evaluating life, creating goals, and having the courage to change. When we are overweight, ridden with anxiety, have children or a spouse that has been abused, a child or friend in trouble with the law, or grieving over the loss of someone close (to name a few things!), it is much easier to move through life without really living in the world. But here's the thing. THIS is the life that we have. And, whether we want to or not, we need to live in it-really, deeply live. We need to have the courage to be brave and face our life, to make changes, take chances, and be honest with ourselves and others. 

To be honest, the idea of doing this is, at times, enough to turn me into an anxious ball of nerves. There are times in my life that I have lived without truly living. And I know that this is no way to live. I wish all my clients could identify the ways they weren't truly living, and be brave enough to make the changes necessary.

How are you being brave currently? What do you need to change to really live? 

No comments:

Post a Comment