Tuesday, January 4, 2011

No excuses for not working out!

Confession: I am the queen of coming up with excuses for not working out. Seriously. I once sat and did nothing but come up with different excuses for not getting on the elliptical for 45 minutes. Pathetic right? Once winter hits, my excuses become more frantic as my desire to stay out of the cold increases. However, I have found a solution this year that has allowed me to still get a number of miles in every week! (And if I can do it, so can you!)

1. When I do walk outside, I walk with another person. We laugh and tell stories and not only does it help keep my mind off my exhaustion or sore feet, but it also keeps my mind off the cold. Plus, not only am I engaging in the "physical" area of wellness, but also the "sense of humor" and "relationship-friendship". Plus it helps to decrease stress (are you sensing how many areas of wellness we're hitting in this single activity?)

2. When it's really just too cold to walk outside, I do the two walking videos on the realage.com website (click here for videos). This not only allows me to stay warm while working out, but I can also do something enjoyable like watch TV while doing it. Hmm...some of my excuses go right out the window!

Remember that flexibility is important for your health too! Good luck working out, and make sure to set healthy goals for changing your behavior! Click here for some information on how to write goals for successful behavior change!

No comments:

Post a Comment