Thursday, November 10, 2011

Squash & Bean Pita Sandwich

The last few weekends I've been posting fall related and recipes, and decided to continue the trend today. Last week I wasn't feeling well, and needed to throw together a healthy dinner quickly. I had a number of leftovers in my refrigerator, and threw them together on a piece of pita bread. What resulted was SO delicious that I've made it for 2 more meals since then, and knew I needed to share it with you all. Here it is:

Ingredients
Refried Beans
Squash (or sweet potato)
Red Pepper
Onion
Red Cayenne Pepper
Pita Bread
Olive Oil or Coconut Oil

Assembly
1. Heat stove to medium temperature. Put small amount of olive oil (or coconut oil) in frying pan and heat. Place pita bread in pan and cook until lightly brown, then flip and cook other side.
2. Heat the refried beans according to instructions on can and warm up the squash (or sweet potato).
3. Spread refried beans so they completely cover one side of the pita bread.
4. Spread squash (or sweet potato) on top of the pita bread and refried beans
5. Place red pepper and onion on top of other ingredients (can include whatever other fillings you desire).
6. Lightly sprinkle the cayenne pepper on top of the pita for an extra little zing to the meal (and a little extra health too!).
7. Fold pita in half and eat. Yum!

 Pretty much everything about this is healthy and delicious:)

 Looks delicious, doesn't it? 

Oh my! Despite not having much of an appetite, I devoured this and it satisfied my hunger for the rest of the night! Of course you can add whatever you'd like to the pita! This is just what I had available. I've since eaten this for 4 lunches in the last week, and it gets better every time!

Now it's your turn:
Do you often throw random foods together when you're rushed for dinner? What do you think of the entire Penn State situation?

1 comment:

  1. Rushed dinners usually end up being a mish mash of snacks lately. Think: cottage cheese, an apple, a quesadilla made out of string cheese and a tortilla, a few strips of green pepper. Ugh. I miss cooking!

    And the Penn State situation? I can't even talk about it because I won't be able to stop. Outrage. Fury. Sadness. Confusion. So many feelings.

    ReplyDelete