Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Oh how we love pumpkin season.  You did know this gourd-ish squash has its own season, right?  Winter, Spring, Summer, Pumpkin.... We anxiously anticipate it every year.  ~Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer, October 2010

Are any of you sick of the fall recipes I've posted yet? No? Good- I'll keep posting away then:) Today I have a delicious little recipe for you: Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal! I'm sure you all know that I'm a fan of oatmeal, and am always looking for fun ways to mix it up a bit. So, while I was grocery shopping and saw a can of pumpkin, I immediately knew what I needed to do! I grabbed a can and some pumpkin pie spice, and came home to get to work on my masterpiece. I don't really measure out specific amounts of each item, so you can make it according to taste!

Ingredients
Oats
Water (or milk)
Canned Pumpkin
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Vanilla
Dried Cranberries

*Cook Oatmeal according to directions. Portion out pumpkin, about half the amount of oats you used, and mix in to oats while heating over low. Mix in a dash of sugar and spices, to taste. I put in some vanilla, but this certainly isn't "typical pumpkin pie" so it's not needed. I decided to throw on some dried cranberries the second time I made it just for something different!



While oatmeal is typically a filling food, adding pumpkin into it added to how filling it was! This was a healthy breakfast that kept me full for hours. This could also be a great evening snack, if a smaller portion was made! YUM:) 

Now it's your turn:
Do you try to tailor the foods that you make to the season? What's your favorite way to spruce up your oatmeal? 

No comments:

Post a Comment