Monday, July 4, 2011

Thankfulness Project: 4th of July!

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.  I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.  
~Abraham Lincoln

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag.  
~Author Unknown

Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.  
~Dwight D. Eisenhower

HAPPY 4th OF JULY to all my fellow Americans, and welcome to my 4th of July Thankfulness Project! Today's post is dedicated to this country (I'm sorry to all you non-Americans...but don't worry! I'll be back to my regular posting tomorrow!).

Here are a few of the things that I'm feeling overwhelmingly grateful for today:
  • Being a woman who is allowed to choose her career: There are many women in countries today who wouldn't be allowed to work, or certainly to follow her own passions in life. I try to regularly remember that my ability to go to work every day is a gift that many people would give anything to have. I'm so happy I live in a country where I am free to be the person I want to be, and follow the dreams and desires that I have!
  • Freedom to practice religion: There are some countries where people don't really get a choice of their religion. Of course they have a choice, but they risk being killed for their decision. The idea of this absolutely breaks my heart. I'm so thankful that I have the freedom to practice religion without fear of persecution!
  • The Brave Men and Women Who Defend Our Country: These men and women give of themselves to their country, and I'm so thankful for them. Not only them, but their families, who are also deeply affected. They defend our rights and our freedoms, and I'm so incredibly thankful that they are there for each of us and our country. 
  • Patriotic Experiences Where Americans Join Together: I wish that we joined together more in the feeling of patriotism. I wish our actions were more patriotic. I wish more people truly loved our country. I have had the experience of standing in a stadium full of people serving in the Air Force singing this song. At the end of it, they let out a huge cheer, and it brought me to tears. 
  • Beautiful Weather: Today is a gorgeous day: sunny and in the mid-80s! A fantastic day for picnics and fireworks:) I'm off to enjoy the pool!
Life, Liberty, & The Pursuit of Happiness...

Did you do anything fun for the 4th of July?

No comments:

Post a Comment