Monday, February 20, 2012

Thankfulness Project Monday

"There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy."
-Ralph H. Blum

I love the phrase "a quiet joy". Sometimes we search after the next "big loud joy" in our lives (vacations, time of work or school, visits with friends, etc...), but we don't take time to experience the quiet joys in our lives. What if we took the time to focus in on the quiet joys of our every day lives- the smiles of others, the smells of food cooking, the sounds of birds chirping, or the joy of helping someone else out? How might that change us?

Here are a few of the quiet joys from my week that I am thankful for:

  • The sound of birds chirping: This isn't a sound I expect to hear in mid-February, but when I woke up this morning I heard them chirping outside my window. I paused for a few moments and allowed myself to enjoy the sound that I so often take for granted in my life. 
  • The smell of coffee brewing: I love starting my morning off with a hot cup of coffee, and the smell perks me up, especially on chilly mornings. I have to admit that most of the time I'm guilty of not  pausing to enjoy this little moment of the day. 
  • Sunshine! I'm so thankful that this winter has been sunnier then usual. Even on chilly days the feel of sunshine beating down of me is fantastic. 
  • Music: Music has the ability to deeply move the soul. It can lift our spirit, transport us back in time, and motivate us to keep going. Music is powerful and enjoyable, and I'm glad that it exists!
  • Conversations with family and friends: Sometimes they are planned, sometimes they are unplanned. Either way- I love them! It obviously takes time and intentional effort to reach out to those around us, but it's worth it. 
I challenge each of you to be on the lookout for the "quiet joys" in your life throughout the next week. Pause and notice the sights, sounds, and feelings around you as you live your daily life. 

Now it's your turn!
What makes it difficult to notice the "quiet joys" in your life? What are you thankful for today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment