Wednesday, June 15, 2011

White Bean Chili

If you've been a reader for very long, you may know 2 things about my relationship with cooking:
1. I struggle to even follow basic recipes, & therefore need easy recipes
2. I'm trying to add more healthy meals to my recipes. 

That being said, today I made a family recipe for the first time. I grew up eating this, but have never made it myself. Because it's been in the family for so long, I don't have a source to attribute it to. This is a very easy recipe, which makes me far more likely to eat it. It's also lactose free, which is obviously important to me as well! 

Ingredients

1 package of chicken sausage
1 can of chicken
2 cans (14.5 oz each) of northern beans
1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes (you can choose whatever type you'd like to add different flavors)
carrots
1/2- 3/4 cup water
1 tsp chicken base

Instructions
1. Cut up Chicken sausage and cook in heavy pan. The sausage is pre-cooked, so this step is just to start browning the chicken. 

2. Cut up carrots into small, bite size pieces. This can be as big or small as you would like. 

3. Drain & rinse both cans of beans in a strainer. 
4. Add beans, tomatoes (with juice), carrots, and can of chicken (drained) to the pan.

5. Add your water & chicken base
6. Stir ingredients in pan. Cook until the carrots are tender. 

Voila! Super easy. Depending on what setting you put on the stove, this dish will take approximately 45 minutes to cook. This can be served hot off the stove, or cold from the refrigerator. It makes great left overs as well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment