Friday, February 18, 2011

Thoughts of a {Running} Beginner...

I went to bed in a bad mood last night, hoping that I'd wake up feeling happier in the morning. This morning, I was awakened early by the annoying sound of my phone ringing. Although I tried to go back to sleep, I couldn't. I got out of bed in a bad mood. After drinking some juice and eating a Larabar, I decided to catch up on some blogs, and then go out on a run/walk. I don't know if I've ever talked about my love of walking/major dislike of running or not. But, the jest of it is this: I love moving, making healthy choices, and getting outside. Of course the endorphins aren't bad either. However, I feel like I don't have a body built for runs. My joints ache with the pounding of my feet on the sidewalk, and I feel like i can't get enough oxygen. I can really briskly walk 7.5 miles much easier then I can run .5 of a mile. Well, back in December I decided it was time to try and run (at this point I was walking 18-25 miles a week, so I was incredibly active). I ran for .75 mi and my vision started going and was on my way to passing out. So, after some quick consultation on twitter (thanks guys!), I decided to do a walk/run program and mix in a few minutes of running with a few minutes of walking quickly, and go back and forth.

Ok, that being said, I decided to do that today. I ran/briskly walked 3 miles in 35 minutes, and felt wonderful. I probably ran about 1-1.25 miles of the 3 miles, in 3 different chunks. When I want to quit, I keep repeating "I'm making healthy and positive choices in my life...I'm making healthy and positive choices in my life" and this keeps me moving forward. So, by the time I got back from my run, I felt great, physically and emotionally, and was in a much better mood.

For all you runners: Any tips for sore joints/muscles, breathing/heart rate, or anything else related to running?

What types of exercise do you enjoy doing? Anything you can't stand? How do you motivate yourself when you want to give up in the middle of exercising? 

No comments:

Post a Comment