He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.
I think at times we can get so focused in on the negative that our grumbling increases and our mood decreases. Furthermore, we forget to acknowledge the good, positive things in our life. When I have my clients do this (in conjunction with other things of course!) the comment I hear the most is something like: "Oh my gosh-I don't know if I always had these good things going on in my life, but I feel like there are so many more positives then negatives right now." YES! We are blessed. That's not to say that there aren't negative things, unfortunate situations, and painful moments in life. But sometimes we focus on the negative and disqualify the positive.
That being said, on Mondays it can be difficult to stay positive. Today, I am dedicating my post to the blessings of today:
- YOGA NIGHT: I love waking up on Monday mornings knowing that I get to go to yoga:) It's so great knowing that I can start my week out on a healthy foot, and this sets the tone for the rest of the week!
- My Co-Workers: They are so fabulous and supportive. In fact, a few of my clients recently have commented on how well we all seem to get along. I'm so thankful for this!
- Getting Caught Up On Sleep: Yes, weird to mention on a day of getting up early, but I got caught up on sleep, or maybe just slept as much as I actually needed, the last few days. I felt great!
- The Sunshine: Although it's still cold outside (grrrrr), I chose to focus on how sunny it was. This winter, there were many days and weeks that went by where I didn't see the sun, and my body started to crave it. I've gotten lots of sunshine recently!
- Some Wonderful Days With My Family:)
So here's what you can do:
Each week, keep a continuous list of positive things/ blessings/ things you are thankful for. This will train your brain to identify the positive alongside the negative. Additionally, you'll have something to reference when you feel like "there's nothing good in my life right now".
What do you think of the idea of Thankfulness? What are you Thankful for this week?